New York State Association of Latino Administrators and Superintendents
New York State Association of Latino Administrators and SuperintendentsThe purpose of NYSALAS is to link aspiring, current and retired school administrators from across New York State of Latino and Hispanic background and those interested in supporting local, regional and statewide efforts to support the teaching and learning of all NYS students - with an emphasis on increasing the number of Latino/Latina students. Bylaws for the organization are currently under review and will be finalized for a vote of the first general session.
News & Updates
The goals of NYSALAS are to:
1. Promote Latino educators into leadership positions.
2. Ensure educational equity for all students especially those of Latino heritage.
3. Advocate on issues at the federal, state, and local level that support equitable educational policies impacting Latino students.
4. Provide opportunities to build the capacity of the organization and its members.
5. Develop strategic partnerships with various organizations throughout the state and at the national level that acknowledge and support the academic achievement of Latino youth.
6. Promote bilingual education as a logical educational process and approach by which success on the part of all students is enhanced through learning in their first language while they are learning to function in their second language.
7. Promote recognition by the total community of the importance of bilingualism and its contributions toward better understanding among people.
8. Promote bilingual instruction, with recognition that the teaching of language skills and the enhancement of conceptual growth is most meaningful and effective when presented with an awareness and appreciation of the strengths of cultural and linguistic differences among people.